Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Life-Changing Days

Standing at the Memorial of the USS Arizona, watching the oily residue coming to the surface, tears filled our eyes.  We could not help but think of the many young men and women who lost their lives that day, those whose lives were scared forever and the pain of the families that also suffered. 
President F.D. Roosevelt stated to the world, “This is a day which will live in infamy.”  So today, we pause to remember the tremendous losses of life (over 2,400) and the other casualties of that day.  December 7, 1941 changed the direction of the world; the following day, President Roosevelt declared war on Japan. 
Many other days in the history of America live in our memory as though they were just yesterday.  We will never forget days like September 11, 2001 and how our lives changed that day.  After nearly ten years, we are still suffering the effects of those events and often pray, “Lord, please do not let us forget the price paid for our continual pursuit of freedom.” We thank God for our resilience to not only return to life but also the determination to use the events to move us to a higher level of excellence. 
Most likely, there are days in each of our lives that changed us forever.  We deal with these “Life Changing Days” differently and either use them to change us for the better or hold us captive.  As we remember, it is good analyze our reactions to these events that have taken place in our life.  Have we allowed them to hold us captive or are we using them as stepping-stones for greater things in our life?  It is never too late to start moving to a higher level and it is “always too soon to quit!”
  Philippians 3:12-14 “I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made.  But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me.  Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus.  I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.”  Message Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment