Sunday, December 19, 2010

Greatest Gift of Christmas

      Christmas began with the greatest Gift one could ever imagine. This Gift was so significant that it literally changed the world that day.  Hope replaced doom; joy replaced sadness; peace replaced fear, and all because of the Gift of Jesus given to the world.  Many have tried to eloquently define the greatness and value of this Gift.  James Hefley stated, “I am within the mark when I say that all the armies that ever marched, and all the navies that ever were built, and all the parliaments that ever sat, and all the kings that ever reigned, put together, have not affected the life of man upon this earth as powerfully as has that One Solitary Life.”
Life is so busy and we often bypass the joy of Christmas as we try to get through the hustle and bustle of the event.  Many have tried to take real meaning of Christmas and turn it into “just another day.”  Therefore, we each need to ask, “What does Christmas mean to me?”  It is a time for giving and receiving; however, it is a great time to just pause, remember and be thankful for the more important things in life.  It was because of God’s great love for us that He gave His most precious Gift.  Sometimes, the most precious gift we give will not have a price tag attached but wrapped with time and love.  One person when asked by her husband, “What would you like for Christmas?”  Her reply was, “I’d like you to sit down and watch ‘Phantom of the Opera’ with me.”  One child’s request was, “I would like lots and lots of attention.”  We need to pause and value what values most in life!
Christmas is a time to remember the reason behind the birthday celebration.  It is a time to remember the gift of love, joy, peace, comfort, compassion, and other attributes that accompanied the greatest Gift and offer the same to others.  These gifts are most important and more lasting than any gift with a monetary value. A little girl was late coming home and her mother wanted an answer why she was late.  The little girl replied, “I stopped to help Janie, whose bicycle was broken in a fall.”  "But you don't know anything about fixing bicycles," her mother responded.  "I know that," the girl said. "I just stopped to help her cry."   
 Give and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measure to you." --Luke 6:38

Dear God, open the eyes of my heart to see the needs of others and show me someone I can help this Christmas. Make me an extension of your love. In Jesus name, I pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment