Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Thanksgiving 2018



Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving, a federal holiday in the United States is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. It was declared a special holiday in 1863 by President Lincoln. He proclaimed it to be a national day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwells in the Heavens."
This day has always been a special day in my life. Even as a child, I remember that very early in the morning, my Mom would start the fire in the old coal burning stove and begin the long day of preparing a special meal for the family. Most of the time, the main course would be the largest chicken that we had and would be served because we could not afford a large turkey for the family.
Our family would gather around the table and as hungry as we were, we would take turns giving thanks for something special. Then, Dad would pray a special prayer thanking God for all of His blessings. Dad loved to pray and as a child, I would always hope that Dad remembered how hungry we were and pray a short prayer. However, he put more emphasis on God’s blessings than the growling of hunger in our stomach.
Thanksgiving Day has a different meaning to each of us. To some it is a special day to be off work and relax around the TV and watch all of the football games. It may be a day of parades and to others it is a day set aside to visit family and enjoy some special family time.  To others, it is a special day to give thanks to God for His bountiful blessings. It is also a great time to say thanks to special people.
Unfortunately, we live in an entitlement society where so many people believe they are “owed” the blessings and is never taught the importance of expressing gratefulness. We see this also in an episode in the Bible where Jesus met ten men that were lepers. They asked Jesus to have mercy on them. He told them to go and show the priests that the leprosy was healed. All were healed but only one returned to show gratitude to Jesus. Jesus asked, "Were not ten healed? Where are the nine? Can none be found to come back and give glory to God except this outsider?" [1] A good question for us to ask this Thanksgiving is, “Am I one of the nine? Or am I the one?” Every day should be a day of Thanksgiving. A song and a pledge that we used to sing says: “All that I am, all that I have, all I shall ever be. Cannot repay the love-debt I owe. I surrender to thee.”[2]
Pledge to the King

I pledge allegiance to the King of Kings;
Creator of all, Master of all things.

My source of life, with each breath I sing,
Resounding praise with voice and string.

He set me aflight from broken wing,
To lift me upward and healing bring.

I vow to honor, whatever entailing,
My provider, Protector, love unfailing.

I pledge allegiance to my King of Kings,
Jesus Christ, my Lord, my everything.[3]

This Thanksgiving, along with all the festivities, take time to say, “THANKS.”

HAPPY THANKSGIVING


[1] Luke 17:19 Message Bible
[2] Unknown
[3] Betty Lewis 1/15/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment