Monday, July 25, 2011

Don’t Stop Me Now!


We read in the Bible of an individual who was born blind and an extraordinary thing happened to him.  He encountered the One that could accomplish his one goal in life, and that goal was to see.  Jesus did something that was perhaps controversial, but He spat on the ground and made a mixture of spittle and dirt, put it on his eyes and told him to go wash in the public bathing place.  One imagining his hurry to reach his goal and perhaps bumping into others on the way, stated, “Hey!  Where are you going in such a hurry?” “Don’t stop me now; I’ll see you in a few!”
All of us dream of things we would like to accomplish or goals that for which we are striving and we, if not careful, will allow the obstacles in life to prevent us from reaching them.  Look at some of the obstacles that will hold one back or cause one to just lose hope and give up.  It may as simple as time; it may be friends or relationships we have chosen; it may be the choice of comfort over effort; or it may be just a lack of confidence. 
This young man was not just blind; he had his eyes now covered with a muddy substance and one can only imagine how he looked as he was running toward the water.  He could have listened to the voices around him perhaps stating, “You can’t accomplish your goal; you can’t even listen to the advice of those around you; you are not capable of achieving this desire; after all, this would be a miracle and miracles don’t happen to people like you.”  He overcame all the impossibilities, made his way to the pool to wash, and believed that he would receive the success for which he had been striving.  He washed and received his eyesight.  One can only imagine his reaction when his dream of a lifetime finally became a reality! 
Most of us are familiar with a children’s story, “The Little Engine That Could,”[1]   Notice how this is applicable to many of us as we reach for what seems like an impossible dream. The story tells of how a large engine was asked to help pull a long train of freight cars over a mountain and the large engine said, “I can’t; that’s just too much for me to pull.”  In desperation after asking a number of other engines, receiving the same answer and the same excuses, the little switch engine was asked and it replied, "I think I can." It pulled in front of the heavy freight train and began to pull. As it pulled, it kept on puffing faster and faster and saying, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."  Though it was difficult, it found that it was not impossible.  The most difficult time was just before reaching the goal.  However, it kept saying, "I think I can, I think I can." It reached the goal, proudly went over the top, and congratulated itself with the success by saying, "I thought I could, I thought I could."
What goals have you established for your life?  Have things along the way tried to discourage you from reaching your goals?  Remember.  There is amazing strength available to each of us.  The apostle Paul stated it this way, “For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need.” [2]  Remember also, the most difficult time of one’s journey toward success may be just before reaching the goal.  We must tell all the obstacles that we encounter, “Don’t stop me now; I’ll see you in a few!”


[1] Watty Piper
[2] Philippians 4:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment